Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference through your work with an organization that serves the Kansas City region? Or, perhaps you are looking for the chance to innovate and collaborate to improve the workplace experience for employees. If you are a human resource professional who is:
- Seeking an opportunity to make a difference.
- Committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Looking to serve others in a team environment.
- Wanting to help lead the organization toward the future.
This opportunity is for you!
Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) is a non-profit association of local governments and the metropolitan planning organization for the bistate Kansas City region.Â With approximately 160 employees, MARC promotes and supports cooperation on regional issues, including transportation, the environment, our workforce and economy, aging services, community development, quality early learning, public safety communications and emergency services. MARC has a collaborative work environment and our organizational culture is centered around integrity; innovation; diversity, equity and inclusion; excellence in performance; and service leadership.
About this position
The Human Resources Generalist works as part of the MARC human resources team by supporting all functions of HR for the agency, with primary responsibility for recruitment, onboarding, benefits and training. Â The position supports a variety of human resources functions such as performance management, compensation, policy development, EEO and legal compliance. This is a full-time, exempt position with professional development opportunities and potential for growth.
What youâ€™ll do
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Works with hiring managers/directors to identify key skills needed for positions and to develop recruitment processes that are designed to attract qualified and diverse candidates.Â Coordinates the recruitment process and ensures fairness and legal compliance.Â
- Manages the new employee onboarding experience by ensuring employees feel welcome and providing comprehensive organizational information.
- Manages benefit plans, including periodic evaluation of the overall program and individual plans. Acts as a resource for employees by answering questions and connecting them with vendors for support.Â
- Provides leadership on wellness activities for the organization.Â Participates on the insurance pool Wellness and Benefits Advisory Committee and supports agency wellness programs and activities, including wellness fairs, lunch â€™n learns, etc.Â
- Coordinates agency training for new employees and regular training on topics like harassment, ethics and cybersecurity. Develops and implements new types of training to further staff development. Manages the learning management system for staff training.
- Provides key leadership and support in achieving organizational goals for diversity, equity and inclusion. Participates in MARCâ€™s employee council, supports various internal committees and provides support and/or coordination for employee events.
- Creates various Equal Employment/Affirmative Action reports for annual and bi-annual filings.Â Verifies I-9 documentation through E-Verify for new hires.
- Responsible for human resources records management.
- Leads the safety and loss control program.
Skills youâ€™ll need
- Ability to lead and facilitate groups, projects and programs.
- Flexibility and maturity in managing processes, time and tasks. Â
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to build strong professional relationships and establish credibility.
- Self-starter and self-driven but also a team player.
- Curious, and open to and eager for new learning.
- Patient with people and processes yet driven to produce timely results.
- Ability to understand strategy and the â€œbig pictureâ€ and translate it to tangible solutions in a fast- paced environment.
- Experience with Office 365, Teams and Human Resources Information Systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Creativity and strong analytical thinking.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree with substantial coursework focused in human resources, organizational development, business or public administration.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of progressively responsible human resources work, experience with employee relations, recruiting and onboarding, benefits, employment laws and HR best practices.
- Must possess a valid driverâ€™s license, the ability to successfully pass a background check, to lift up to 25 lbs.
Your resume will stand out if you have:
- Experience working in a non-profit setting.
- PHR/SPHR, SHRM-SCP/CP or IPMA SCP/CP certification.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary for this position is from $49,500 up to $65,000 per year, depending upon qualifications. MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment, schedule flexibility, along with a competitive fringe benefit package and professional development opportunities.
MARC staff are primarily working remotely through the summer and are planning for a return to the office in August.Â After August, work will be primarily in-office with opportunities for flexibility in scheduling and for virtual work.
How to Apply
To apply, complete ourÂ online application formÂ and attach your cover letter and resume. For more information, visitÂ marc.org/jobs.
MARC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.