The Sr. HR Compensation Analyst is a full-time, exempt role based out of our Kansas City, MO office. This role will administer the firm’s compensation policies and practices while providing technical and analytical compensation support to the firm. The ideal candidate will have at least seven years of progressive compensation experience and the ability to partner and build relationships with leadership/management.
*only local candidates will be considered*
- Leads the annual salary review and bonus process for non-attorney staff in conjunction with the performance review cycle. Provides compensation recommendations for promotions, market adjustments, retention, new hires and relocating employees, reflecting compensation philosophy and policies. Works with staff recruiting and firm-wide management to communicate/implement recommended changes.
- Monitors internal equity, external competitiveness and consistent application of compensation policies firm-wide. Alerts HR Manager and Director of HR of salary inequities and provides recommendations.
- Gathers information for the annual budget process and provides to Finance management (merit increase budget proposals, surveys, administrative bonus plans and the service awards program).
- Utilizes the HRIS system (ADP) to run compensation-related reports and extract data for analysis. Leverage third-party specialized technology to manage and maintain job and pay structure.
- Provides data for salary surveys. Analyzes survey data results to determine our competitive position in the marketplace. Updates market pricing database and career grade structure as required. Provides career grade and range data to HR Manager and appropriate staff management as requested and advises on starting salary offers.
- Work with external consultant to update grade structure on a regular basis.
- Updates and maintains data on geographic differentials; make recommendations for zone changes. Identifies geographical differentials when new offices open in an area where we have not previously been located.
- Review, maintain, and update staff job descriptions in concert with HR Manager and department leaders.
- Meets with managers who request a new position and compiles draft description for their review. Reviews proposed organizational structure changes and consults with management regarding job descriptions, grades and ranges, title changes, etc. to ensure consistency and conformity throughout the firm.
- Remains current in law firm policies, procedures and base/variable pay programs to ensure competitive position in the market. Networks with compensation professionals at other law firms or through other professional associations such as WorldatWork and SHRM to gain insight into current trends.
- Keep abreast of new and emerging compensation trends, creative solutions, and legislative changes.
- Ensure compliance with all related comp and pay regulations including, but not limited to, FLSA, pay transparency, and pay equity laws at all levels (Federal, State, and Local).
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years of experience in analysis, design and administration of compensation programs for multi-state employers or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CCP certification is preferred.
- Previous law firm experience helpful.
- Experience with software applications such as ADP and third-party systems such as CompAnalyst strongly preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills required along with strong statistical analysis and research skills.
- Experience in incentive design and sales compensation or variable pay plans helpful.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience evaluating markets and trends affecting pay practices and translating those into relevant solutions. Working knowledge/application of market pricing techniques as well as the development of and maintenance of grade/range structures.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Sense of urgency, adaptability to changing business requirements and commitment to proactive approach.
- Ability to consult with members of the senior management team.
- Knowledge of FLSA and other federal and local laws and regulations governing compensation practices and pay equity. Experience in mid-size to large multi-state organizations strongly preferred.
- Hands on experience and thorough knowledge of key laws and regulations (FLSA, ADA, state specific pay equity, etc.).
- Must maintain high level of confidentiality when working with salary and bonus data.
- Detail oriented, accurate, and thorough.
- Position is generally sedentary in nature; involves sitting most of the time, but may involve the need for inter-office mobility for brief periods of time
- Ability to occasionally or routinely lift up to 10 – 20 lbs
- Ability to efficiently communicate
- Ability to perform repetitive motions required
- Ability to see and read PC screens, detect color coding, read fine print, and/or normal type size print
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.