Please see Special Instructions for more details.
* Cover letter, resume, and transcripts are required and must be attached to the online application to receive any consideration.Â An MCC application must be accompanied by the following:Â
A cover letter which indicates the position of interest and addresses the following:Â The highlights of your education and experience which specifically prepare you for this position;Â The mission of the community college, and how you would contribute to the mission.Â Your experiences in supervision within an academic institution;Â Leadership in a complex organization such as MCC; and the basis for your familiarity with multi-culturalism and working in a diverse environment.Â
A resume to include three professional references with name, address, and phone number.
Official or student copies of your transcripts.
Official transcripts will be required if selected for an interview.
* Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
* Applicants selected for interview will be required to prepare a writing sample on an assigned topic.
* Position will remain open until filled.
|Career Opportunity Number||21-111|
|Position Title:||HR- Director of Employee Relations & Engagement|
|Job Open Date||08/11/2021|
|Job Close Date||09/12/2021|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Initial Screen Date:||09/15/2021|
|Minimal Qualifications:||* Masterâ€™s degree in human resources or closely related field plus three (3) years of full-time, directly-related work experience in an employee relations environment, OR |
* Bachelorâ€™s degree in human resources or closely related field plus five (5) years of full-time, directly-related experience in an employee relations environment.
|Preferred qualifications:||Preference will be given to individuals who possess: |
* Masterâ€™s degree
* HR Certification (I.E. SPHR/PHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP)
* Experience working in a leadership position in employee relations
* Proven experience administering performance management, including coaching and counseling both employees and supervisors
* Proven analytical and project management skills with attention to detail
* Demonstrated broad knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and theories of modern management and best practices related to equity and employee relations
* Prior experience working in a unionized environment in an employee relations role
* Prior experience working in a higher education environment
|Work Hours||Normally scheduled Monday through Friday; however, may be required to work other shifts to include evenings and/or weekends. Schedule subject to change based upon department needs.|
|Compensation||â€¢ Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience.|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||PLEASEÂ NOTE:|
* Cover letter, resume, and transcripts are required and must be attached to the online application to receive any consideration.Â
Â Â AnÂ MCCÂ application must be accompanied by the following:Â
A cover letter which indicates the position of interest and addresses the following:Â The highlights of your education and experience which specifically prepare you for this position; The mission of the community college, and how you would contribute to the mission.Â Your experiences in supervision within an academic institution;Â Leadership in a complex organization such asÂ MCC; andÂ The basis for your familiarity with multi-culturalism and working in a diverse environment.Â
A resume to include three professional references with name, address, and phone number.Â
Official or student copies of your transcripts.Â
Official transcripts will be required if selected for an interview.Â
* Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.Â
* Applicants selected for interview will be required to prepare a writing sample on an assigned topic.Â
* Position will remain open until filled. Â
|Class Summary||In collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer, this administrator position is responsible for supporting the management, organization, and implementation of strategic HR management initiatives including employee relations, investigations and policy development that align with the college objectives and strategic plan.|
|Typical Essential Duties||1. Support the management, organization, and implementation of strategic HR management initiatives including employee relations, investigations and policy development. |
2. Provide advice, coaching, and assistance to management on sensitive complex problems regarding employees and work teams, organization changes, policy interpretation, and management competencies.
3. Conduct confidential investigations including identifying root causes of issues, weighing the importance and validity of information to form fact based opinions, solving problems and making formal recommendations which mitigate risk.
5. Facilitate mediation for conflict management & problem-solving dialogues. May act as arbitrator & liaison between disputing parties on personnel matters.
6. Serve in a strategic partnership role providing guidance to managers as they implement individualized strategies to enhance the performance of individuals and teams.
7. Direct exit interview processes; conduct & monitor exit interviews to determine trends; make recommendations to executive leadership based on outcomes.
8. Oversee and ensure the effective administration of the performance appraisal process; aggregate performance evaluation data to identify broad patterns and training needs.
9. Consult/coach supervisors/employees, as requested, to address issues relative to performance evaluations; assists with development plans.
10. Provide assistance in identifying, evaluating, & resolving talent relations & work performance problems within college to facilitate communication & improve talent relations & work performance.
11. Develop and administer an Affirmative Action Plan including utilization reports. Develop timetable in cases of underutilization and monitor the program for compliance.
12. Work across the institution in the context of the shared governance model to help create and maintain a values driven culture.
13. Oversee, run and analyze required annul reports including AAUP and Veterans 4212.
14. Review existing policies & procedures, making recommendations for revisions as necessary. Provide recommendations for new policies & procedures as needed.
15. Gather information on employeesâ€™ perceptions that affect employee morale, motivation, & efficiency.
16. Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
|Knowledge||1. Effective organizational skills. |
2. Prior experience working with PeopleSoft software or similar HRIS preferred.
3. Ability to prioritize tasks effectively, pay close attention to details, and meet prearranged deadlines while emphasizing continuous quality improvement and strategic planning.
4. Ability to work accurately at a fast pace with frequent interruptions while exhibiting a passion for customer service.
5. Ability to use independent judgment successfully to initiate and carry projects to completion.
6. Ability to handle confidential matters judicially.
7. Ability to plan and implement assigned responsibilities with minimal supervision.
8. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with other employees.
9. Commitment to building a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion.
10. Ability to work well under pressure and meet established deadlines.
11. Ability to leverage technology to continuously improve human resources services.
12. Supervises assigned staff while performing other duties as assigned.
|Positions Supervised||* Training Coordinator |
* Administrative Assistant â€“ Level IV
|Physical Requirements||1. Sedentary work involving sitting most of the time, occasionally involving mobility within the office and building. |
2. Move from floor to floor occasionally.
3. Sit in workstation up to two (2) hours at a time to access and enter information using computer.
4. Occasionally lift boxes weighing up to fifteen (15) pounds from the floor to waist level.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education you have as conferred through an official transcript?
- Have not completed High School/GED
- High School/GED
- Associate’s degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctorate degree
- * How much full-time, directly-related work experience do you have in an employee relations environment, as supported by the employment history listed on your application?
- less than one year
- between 1 and 2 years
- between 2 and 3 years
- between 3 and 4 years
- between 4 and 5 years
- five years or more
- How did you learn about this position?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Dos Mundos
- Employee referral
- Inside Higher Ed
- Kansas City Call
- Kansas City Globe
- Kansas City Hispanic News
- MCC Website
- Other Source
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 01
- Transcript 02
- Transcript 03
- Transcript 04
- Transcript 05
- Other Document 01
- Other Document 02
- Letter of Recommendation 01
- Letter of Recommendation 02
- Letter of Recommendation 03
- Other Document 03
- Other Document 04