Employee Relations Consultant
Position Summary / Career Interest:
As an integral member of the Employee Relations Team, the Employee Relations Consultant is responsible for mitigating risk through an effective and proven understanding of employment law and hospital policies/procedures. The ER Consultant demonstrates the ability to effectively and promptly resolve employee concerns through effective and timely administration of associated investigations, makes effective and timely recommendations to management concerning employee and other issues, is able to perform individual and group compliance and other training as requested and/or in response to employee or other concerns and as recommended. The ER Consultant effectively and timely administers unemployment claims, the Labor agreements, employee corrective action and any associated grievances. These are critical success measurements. The Employee Relations Consultant must have the interpersonal skills to develop a trusted partnership with HR teammates, assigned clients and our labor union representatives, as demonstrated through scores on hospital leadership surveys, feedback from the employee engagement surveys, and as demonstrated through met performance evaluations and other feedback from clients and teammates.
- Accurately and timely enters Employee Relations data, compiles reports and analyses data in order to provide appropriate interventions and facilitate Employee Relations and other process improvements.
- Advocates for both employees and the organization through effective, fair and timely investigation of complaints and provides appropriate advice, support and intervention.
- Is perceived as a valuable resource by both leadership and front line employees.
- Assists in the administration of employee surveys, focus groups and other feedback mechanisms and timely provides information gathered to the appropriate parties and members of the leadership team as requested.
- Assists in the development, implementation and employee/supervisory training on new and updated HR and other hospital policies. Conducts employee relations training in new hire orientation and follow-up for supervisors and managers, physicians, etc.
- Assists with the coordination of employee events/activities. Administers the service award and retirement programs. Serves on hospital and other committees as requested.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the labor agreements and effectively coaches both supervisors and employees as to labor agreement language and application. Works with management, union stewards and business agents to investigate and resolve employee grievances and coordinates the hospitalâ€™s timely response to concerns/issues/grievances.
- Effectively administers unemployment claims and represents the hospital in related hearings.
- Effectively partners with other HR teams to manage overlapping employee and other issues.
- Partners with internal and external resources to manage employee needs through effective day to day administration of ADA Accommodations, the Reasonable Suspicion Process, The Employee Assistance Program, The Kansas Nurse Assistance Program, etc.
- Partners with legal counsel and risk management to manage EEOC claims and lawsuits. Says abreast of current local, state and federal legislative changes and changes in employment laws, so as to administer effectively. Maintains HR Certification.
- Supports management through effective recommendations and administration of the corrective action process and provides guidance to management concerning employee performance improvement measures. Provides ongoing education, coaching and training. Partners with managers and directors to facilitate departmental restructures.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Heavy focus on workplace investigations and recommendation/administration of corrective action, performance improvement plans, preferably in a health care/hospital Human Resources department
- 4-6 years of previous experience as a fully functioning HR Generalist or in Employee Relations, preferably in a healthcare environment
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, Human Resources or similar discipline preferred
- SPHR or PHR preferred
- Prefer Labor Relations experience including handling grievances and working with union stewards and facilitating labor agreements.
Job Requisition ID: