The HR Assistant serves as the first point of contact for all Human Resources customers via phone, walk-in or by appointment. Provide administrative support to the Human Resources Employee Service Center and Human Resource department.
The University of Kansas Medical Center offers top-ranked academic and research programs in the schools of Health Professions, Medicine and Nursing.
As the health sciences branch of the University of Kansas, KU Medical Center serves the state through excellence in education, research, patient care and community engagement.
Our campuses in Kansas City, Salina and Wichita employ more than 6,000 dedicated faculty and staff members, who are educating health care workers of tomorrow, leading groundbreaking research efforts and improving the health of Kansans.
Provide administrative support to the Human Resources Employee Service Center. Serve as first point of contact for all customers: via phone, walk-in or by appointment.
Provide excellent customer service as the first point of contact with our customers by greeting each person in a professional and courteous manner, listening and answering questions, researching to find answers when needed, and referring customers to the appropriate person for resolution.
Prepare and complete a variety of forms, letters and mailings for employees upon request.
Maintain personnel files (electronic and file folders) in compliance with applicable policies and regulatory requirements. Scan all documents into online software ensuring documents are in the proper folder and legible. Handle each document with a high degree of confidentiality.
Process new hire background checks.
Complete initial and re-verification of I-9 documents submitted by workforce. Ensure immigration administration and documents are in compliance with applicable policies and regulatory requirements.
Assist HR teams to include Benefits, Recruitment, and Business Partner staff in carrying out various human resources programs, procedures, processes and reports for university employees.
Attend staff meetings, other meetings and seminars. Compose minutes, memos, correspondence, reports and other documents as assigned.
Receive and distribute mail. Prepare all types of mailings and packages as needed to support HR team.
Prepare packets and brochures for projects as needed.
Order office supplies, receive office supply orders, stock storage cabinets and distribute orders to HR staff. Responsible for maintaining office equipment and anticipates maintenance needs. Schedules service call with vendors, as needed.
Assist Executive Assistant with
support and assist HR Team with Rewards and Recognition and HR sponsored events.
Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
** Required Qualifications **
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or another closely related business field; experience performing duties as described may substitute for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
• Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and strong computer literacy.
• Extensive knowledge of computer software (Windows and Microsoft Office).
• Proficiency in or knowledge of use of a variety of computer software applications, especially Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint software.
• Experience in handling sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
• Excellent verbal communication skills for use in interfacing and assisting employees visiting HR.
• Experience in providing administrative support in a professional office environment, employee service center, etc.
• Ability to operate most standard office equipment.
• Attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Excellent spelling, grammar and written communication skills.• Excellent telephone and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism in dealing with sensitive issues pertaining to employees and their dependents.
** Preferred Qualifications **
• Experience in university, healthcare or governmental agency.
• Prior knowledge of principles and practices of Human Resources. Prior experience with a HRIS system, preferably Workday.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and Zoom meetings.
• Knowledge and experience working with foreign nationals and employment visa requirements.